Sunday, July 09, 2006

title it yourself!!!!

Earlier in the day, I had thought that I would write about the day I spent with my friends, giving them a treat on the occasion of my birthday. However, the day was marred by a series of events that took place in Bombay this morning.

All of us were sitting in the Bombay Blues outlet at Shopper's Stop, Andheri, when we got wind of the news that there was rioting going on in many parts of Bombay. It seems a statue of the late wife of the influential Sena leader, Bal Thackeray, had been desecrated by some miscreants, early this morning. Her son, Uddhav, who calls himself a leader of the people of Maharashtra, gave a statement saying that inspite his mother being a mother for the masses, it is indeed sad that someone desecrated her statue. I thoroughly agree with him and, am of the firm belief that the police MUST trace the miscreants, at the earliest. However, the "people's" Sena went one step further. Rioting began, buses were burnt, shops were forced to close down and the city almost ground to a halt. Is this the way to express your agitation at the insult of someone you hold dear? Is this the way a supposedly responsible party is supposed to conduct itself?

On any day, maybe 5 years earlier, people would themselves have stopped all activities as a mark of protest. However, repeated attempts by this party to make sure that the diktats of its now senile leader and his irresponsible son are obeyed at all costs have certainly not endeared them to WE, the people. I think it is time we had self-governance in Bombay (yes, I will call it Bombay, when I speak in English....to hell with political correctness!!!). Ban the political parties!!! Let individuals stand for the post of elected mayor. Let the Sena know that I am certainly NOT voting for them in the next elections!!!

In case the reader is wondering why I have mentioned names, as opposed to my style of using initials, I feel that in some cases, a direct approach is the best one!!! And there is no particular reason for this post.....its just me letting some steam off.

2 comments:

Everyman said...

Political parties, in the name of 'serving the people', are trying to rule the people..am certainly disgusted by the way they control our lives..in Kerala, they call a hartal at the drop of a lungi!

But it's easy to remain cynical and abstain from voting..the hard part is trying figure out whom to vote for..they are all the same after all..all the same..

Sumo said...

Of course, I will go and vote....I will go and have it noted by the election commission that I do not wish to vote for any of the candidates standing for election!!!

My Blog Directory