Sunday, August 27, 2006

Ganapati celebrated in Bombay

Well, it feels nice to be here in Bombay once again for the Ganapati festival. Last year, I had to give it a miss because of my ILP in $#%^%$ Bhubaneswar. Now, don't get me wrong!!! I did enjoy my stay in Bhubaneswar and getting away from home was not as bad as I thought it would be. But, one does yearn for home when typical Bombay festivals like Ganeshotsav come along. And believe me, hearing your friends describing the sweets they got to eat and the fun they had at the various places they visited, in graphic detail, does not exactly tickle your funny bone!!!

Well, enough of last year. This year too, there was lots of stuff to do. And mainly, good food to eat!!! However, one thing turned this otherwise enjoyable festival sour for me. Today, wherever I went, there were old aunties and grannies asking my mom about when she was gonna get a daughter-in-law for herself!!! The general conversation went something like this....

Aunty/Granny : When are you getting a lady for this young man?

Mom : Errr......he wants to study further before thinking of that and plus, we think it's too early for all this.

Aunty/Granny : What nonsense? Early? Look at him, such a big fellow, he should settle down and give you some nice cuddly grandchildren to play with!!!

Mom : We really don't think so!!!

Aunty/Granny : Don't be stupid!!! If you ask me, its good to have these youngsters settle down early in life, else they get out of hand!!! Trust me, I have some experience in these matters.

(All the other "wise people" around grunt their assent!!!)

Hello!!! Who gave you guys the right to decide when I should settle down? And what's all this about cuddly kids to play with? And since when did the ultimate aim of "settling down" become providing your parents "cuddly" grandchildren to "play with"????????? GOD!!!!

Sometimes, I really wonder why these people cant mind their own bloody business!!!

7 comments:

Riaan Roving said...

yeah...i agree with them..."its good to have these youngsters settle down early in life"....if only more ppl cud support teenage sex...hehe..no offence..

Sumo said...

u bloody bugger.....i cud do with some sympathy here, u kno!!!
It may be good for "those" youngsters to settle down early in life, but I certainly dont think so as far as my case is concerned!!!

Everyman said...

Lorrrl@Riaaan's comment..i was always for child marriage..rather..teenage marriage :-D

@Sumo--if this is what you are facing at your age, imagine the agony I am going thru!!!

... said...

lol! welcome to my world guys!!
ain't so much fun is it? but whats good is your mum is a supporter! 3 cheers for her...

and hey, apparently the only reason we contemplate marriage is for this silly reasons in these women's eye

Sumo said...

@ Shainu & Princess : Yeah guys, I completely understand what u guys must be going through now. Believe me, this is not pleasant.

@ Princess : Yeah, even I m glad that Mom supports me. With that knowledge, I can take on the batty old ladies any day!!!

Firebringer said...

suggestions for next time:

1) So, aunty, when is your funeral? After all, when I bring in a new child into this wrld, the population should be balanced.

2) Aunty, you don't need to be married to beget grandchildren. Just give me a ticket to grant road, and wait for 3/4 of a year.

3) After seeing you, I hve taken a vow of celibacy - Bheeshma is my hero!

Sumo said...

@ firebringer : 1) Would u rather it wud b sooner than later?

2) I already HAVE a ticket to Grant Road...in fact, it is a quaterly pass HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh that one cracked me up!!! [;)]

3) Celibacy and me??? Naaah!!! I m more of the sinful kind!!!

My Blog Directory