Sunday, January 21, 2007

If only...

The following is an excerpt from the book 'The Joy of Achievement' by R. M. Lala. It is about his conversations with the legendary J. R. D. Tata.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JRD : My recollections of very early babyhood days are nil. But I remember when I was about four, must have been 1908, I got a thrashing from my father for having kicked the ayah.

RML : That is one of your first recollections?

JRD : Yes, and when she remonstrated with me I said,"I can hit you, kick you because you're poor." Can you imagine (me doing it)? So when she repeated it to my mother and my mother told my father, my father quite rightly gave me a thrashing. Never understood how anybody could ever say something like that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, if only even a quarter of India's elite would curb snobbish behaviour like this, right in the beginning, we may have had more J.R.D's today. Sigh...if only...

3 comments:

Everyman said...

Yeah! On the flip side though, we would have many more s/w companies and what not'S!!!:)

Sumo said...

Oh come on, do u think JRD and his clones would have been all abt. software companies? I think the one we are in is more than enough!!!

Chetan Bhadricha said...

it took just one JRD to usher a revolution in india ... had we just a few more APJ Abdul Kalam's dreams about India would have been a reality by now ... nice one dude ... got me all the more thinking... my blog is long overdue for something

My Blog Directory