Sunday, March 04, 2007

Music

I was reading my friend, AD's latest post on how people tend to say that modern music has less value as compared to the good old days. This got me thinking. When can we say that any music is good? It may be simple for those technically trained or at least, inclined towards music to quantify the various parameters which may help us decide whether a given piece of music is good or bad. But, what about mere mortals like me? For me, F and G are just letters. And why the hell do we have to sharpen them???

I guess one can figure out by now the extent of my musical knowledge. But then, I too like listening to music. I have never managed to figure out why I like a particular piece of music, though. Take for example, Jiya Jale from Dil Se. I simply love the song. It's just so catchy...well, at least to me, it is. I don't understand half of the words in it coz they are in Malayalam (or is it Tamil). But, the music, the lyrics, the vocals, they all come together in a smooth package. Ditto for Pyar humko bhi hai from Chalte Chalte. And the guitar piece from KK's Pal? Simply awesome. I just find myself rewinding the song over and over just to listen to that neat piece of guitaring.

Now, one must think that here I am speaking about music making me feel something and I mention only Hindi songs here. Well, I like a few English ones too. Like You're Still the One, or the Titanic OST, or even Candle in the Wind. The list is small but, I guess that's coz I was brought up on a diet of pure unadulterated Hindi film music. The so-called Olden Goldies. The first time I was exposed to so many good English songs was during ILP in Bhubaneswar. Even today, this exposure, although slow, continues. Maybe, that's why I still have arguments with my Dad who feels that I should listen to more "Indian" compositions. Yeah right!!!

I just read the paragraphs above and I realised that I have rambled on and on. I had set out to establish what might constitute good music, and I ended up explaining why I don't know much about English music!!! But, then let's get something from you now. Tell me...what do you think makes good music?

3 comments:

Riaan Roving said...

music is meant for leisure..to calm u or entertain u..if it does that, its fine...so there is no such thing as bad or good music....its music that an individual likes or dislikes...I'm sorry to be so blunt..but I think all those people who make flat statements abt the qlty of music going down over the yrs are simply resistant to change!!

Everyman said...

Good music is that which is able to create just the mood that you are looking for. If you are feelin down, and u want something to take u further down, and a song can do that, it's good music..if u want to go up, and it takes u there, then that's good music...


The right combination of word and sound.

Sumo said...

@ Riaan : Hey...dont be sorry!!! Even I feel the same.

@ Everyman : Hmm...oh what wouldnt I do for that perfect piece of music at the right time!!!

My Blog Directory