Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sterling - A silent sentinel to an era gone by

Just 2 days ago, I read the shocking piece of news in the papers. Sterling theatre was closing down to make way for a multiplex!!! How?? Why??? #$@#%!!!!

It seems like ages ago when I walked into that large foyer, holding my parents' hands, eager to watch 'Dennis the Menace'. My first reaction upon entering was, "Ooooooohhh!!!!'. The auditorium was as small as the foyer was big. A really nice and cozy place where you never got the whistling and jeering crowd.

Over the years, I grew to love every aspect of Sterling. From the polite guards at the entrance to the bright and inviting snacks counter. From the pristine condition of the seats to the sparkling clean toilets. The smell of the delicious caramel popcorn, inviting as ever. The twin seats at the back where couples used to park themselves for a movie of a different kind. The grudge I used to bear against the ushers for letting me out through the rear exit, causing me to walk round the bldg to my car. Everything was .... well ..... just perfect!!!!

I once used to brag to all my mates that I could enjoy all the benefits of the multiplexes that they went to, for a fraction of a price!!! And then, suddenly, came this devastating piece of news.
Yesterday night, as I was returning from New Excelsior, I passed by Sterling. The renovation work had already begun. That once white and inviting lobby was now a dull grey, violated by machines of all kinds!!! The whole building had a mournful air about it, as it stood, patiently bearing the changes that were being now forced upon it. As a tear trickled down my cheek at this sight, I reluctantly tore my eyes away from the building onto the road ahead. After all, I had to drive home....

4 comments:

Everyman said...

Signs of nostalgia for days gone by are signs that ur growing old! :-D

I dont have such memories..never went much to the theatres as a kid..but i guess STerling going down would be akin to a part of ur life no longer being where it was..

darshan said...

dude its ok...i dont understand how u can watch so many movies with our meagre salary...neways enjoy

Sumo said...

@ Everyman : U r right....life will never be the same again....Sigh!!!
PS :- OLD??????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Darshane : U may not b knowing .... but going to most movies with parents kinda helps!!! ;-)

Chetan Bhadricha said...

hey sumo ... i can very well understand your condition for I went through the same grueling feelings when I saw the Metro Cinema being converted to Metro Adlabs :-(

My Blog Directory