Sunday, July 02, 2006

And July, the first passes by...

Just yesterday, a quizzing friend of mine, NI, called up to wish me a Happy Birthday. During the course of the conversation we had, one question he asked really made me think. "Does it feel any different becoming 23?"

Come to think of it, it certainly doesn't. I am still the same fat and lazy chap I was a year ago. I still get angry at the drop of a hat. I still love to drive the wheels off my car. But then, why is a birthday considered to be so important? NI had me thinking big time, and mind you, that's quite an achievement!!!

My thinking made me realise that though I may not have changed that much, some part of me has, indeed, undergone a transformation, possibly because of the events that took place in my life in the past year. I learnt that I could survive away from home, thanks to my company, which insists on training its recruits in far-off places like Bhubaneswar. I learnt that the rest of India is not such a bad place, but nothing can beat Bombay!!! I learnt that some people who you think are very good friends wont even bother to ask how you are, while others will keep in touch. I learnt that however skilled you may be at driving, there will always be someone who is willing to take more risks than you, simply because he has more money!!! I also learnt that Orkut can make you drop your sulkiness at your best friend, because she has forgotten all about your big day. I also learnt that when your best friend calls up at 11 pm to apologise, she makes your day (or at least, what's left of it!!!)

If I try and list all the things that I learnt, I will end up spending the whole day over it, and yet, not end up with a comprehensive list!!! So, a reader may ask...."Is this post getting somewhere?" My reply would be .... "Errr....No, I don't think so!!!"

3 comments:

Everyman said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO UUUUUUU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO UUUUUUUU
HAPPY BIRD-DAY DEAR SUMO!!!!!!
HAPPY BEER-DAY TO UUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

It's good to know that atleast ur learning a few things :-DDD

Happy birthday man!! and i hope u got ur share of gifts

... said...

....nothing can beat Bombay!!! - you said it!!

the comment about friends also really hit home.

hope you had an awesome day, belated happy b'day.

thanks for stopping by earlier... plan to blog more regularly now on :)

Sumo said...

@ Shainu : Yes, I did get my share of gifts. Bird day....make that a chick day and I will take it....Beer day...naah...I dont drink!!!

@ Princess : It is a feeling only those in Bombay can xperience. Thanx for ur wishes. Good to hear that u will blog regularly.

My Blog Directory