Thursday, February 17, 2005

BLACK is actually WHITE !!!!

Well, finally, there was respite from the horrible rigmarole of boring lectures and torturous professors. It was the first day of S***E today. I went to college with great anticipation but, I was sorely disappointed. This year's OC had done a pretty shoddy job. The college was just not looking right for hosting a festival. The atmosphere was also pretty lame everywhere. There was no real games village this time and I could not locate a single food stall anywhere in the college. The events were delayed as usual and there was total confusion everywhere. In fact, the previous year's committee had to help out the incumbent OC to prevent an absolute fiasco.

As regards me, I fared very badly as compared to normal simply because S, my regular partner is down with chicken pox. My stand-in partner, J tried to help me as far as possible but, it was just not the same. I dont mean to say that J is not good. I simply mean that he and I have not quizzed together enough to win outright at the first attempt. Anyway, the less said about that debacle, the better.

Later on, A suggested that we go watch Black and this time, since I fared miserably in the quizzes, I decided to go, alongwith A,C,R,G,RS,M and ST. I sure did not regret my decision for, in the next few hours, the scenes playing before my eyes were amongst the best I had ever seen. The touching emotions which can be experienced by a blind and deaf girl and her magician-like teacher are brought out very nicely by the director. He seems to be back in the form of yore when he made films like Khamoshi. While that one was a musical, Black has the maximum effect without a soundtrack. However, what marginally spoiled the effect the film had was the stupid and inane crowd. In one scene, when Michelle, the impaired girl asks her teacher to kiss her just once, for she may not be able to feel like a woman again, the teacher kisses her for a brief while. That was one of the best scenes of the film for me, but it attracted so many catcalls from the stupid crowd. Even one of our group joined in the melee that ensued. I shall not name him here to prevent embarassment to him but, that individual really disappointed me. This film has clearly not been understood by a majority of the audience. Maybe its too mature for them. SAD!!!

After the movie, I decided to head for home as I was already almost halfway there. It just didnt make any sense for me to go to college and stand there listening to a maniacal DJ churning out ear-splitting noise which the crowd prefers to call music. Thats the reason I got to drive today and surely that was the best ending to the day. The icing on the cake was that I got to eat a BBQ Chk croissant which was heavenly.

Well, that was my day. It was a very eventful one and, on hindsight, I must say that I enjoyed every bit of it, especially after lunchtime. Update on the second day of S***E in the next post.

CIAO.

No comments:

My Blog Directory